Did you know that growing a tiny human (or two) in your belly is the same thing as wearing a “Hello, my name is” sticker on your chest?
I did not!
But apparently, the two things are one and the same…or at least very similar. There is just something magical about that big ol’ belly that breaks barriers and invites conversation!
Well, I will say “conversation” for now, but you should know that I say that loosely…very loosely.
So, it’s a really good thing I’m a sharer! Because Shaheed and I heard A LOT of different things during my pregnancy. Some were expected, some were cliché, some were intrusive, and some were just downright bizarre. But all were interesting in their own way!
So, in an effort to give you a glimpse into some of the “conversations” we had, here are the TOP 5 things we heard while I was pregnant:
1. Was It “Natural”? (Ummm…)
- This was by far the most asked question! I didn’t mind it – being a sharer and all – but I was really tempted to give some people a play-by-play of how it all went down. I wonder what they would do if I actually did that! Maybe they have had some troubles – or know people that have – or know people that are trying? Maybe it’s a common question to ask a mom of twins, or maybe they just didn’t know what else to say upon laying eyes on my enormous belly. But regardless, we definitely got asked this question A LOT!
2. Do Twins Run In Your Family? (No, they walk…ha ha!)
- This was the second most asked question – but this time, it was expected. The answer is, yes actually, they do. My dad has two sets of fraternal twins on his side (Aunt and Grandma). Of course, we didn’t know this until we revealed it to my mom, who then went on to tell us of these magical twins. Until then, we just thought she was crazy because since I was 5, she would tell my brother Imran and I that one of us was going to have twins!
3. Twins?? Perfect! Now You’re Done! (Umm, why thank you fortune teller!)
- This one always caught me by surprise. We heard it so much though that after the 10th time, I was convinced that there was a secret message board somewhere of things to say to a Twin Mama; a Twin Top 5 List of some sort. Just shy of asking us how our little family started, this statement all but cemented its end! What a funny thing to say to someone – especially someone you just met. At some point though, I started responding with “for now” like I really had to convince them (or me) that it wasn’t the end…or didn’t have to be.
4. Twins?? Double-Trouble! (Ha, ha – you clever fox, you)
- This was probably on that secret message board too, because we heard it a lot. It was also almost always followed by a chuckle – but is it really that funny? No. Not really. I never felt like this statement added any depth to the conversation. Similar to hearing how tired I must be or look, it wasn’t flattering in the way birth and having children should be. I mean, whatever happened to good old fashioned encouragement or pats on the back? “Well done Mama, you’ll do great!” or “Wow, you’re so lucky to have two!”
5. Will You Have A “Natural” Birth? (Would you judge me if I didn’t?)
- I’m not sure why this would matter to anyone else, but it did! Not that I worry too much about what others think – but honestly, if you really want to ask me something, maybe ask how I’m feeling about the delivery or about being a new mom. Because lets face it, all that really matters is that it is safe and healthy for both mom and baby (or babies). For us, this meant having a planned caesarean at 37 weeks and 5 days, and avoiding dangerous risks like stillbirths and emergency c-sections from complications surrounding Baby B’s marginal insertion (a specific way in which the umbilical cord is attached to the placenta). Medical jargon aside, it all went extremely smoothly – and not only were we able to meet our two healthy baby boys, the delivery and recovery were both particularly speedy!
- While this one didn’t make our top 5, it was definitely one that made us laugh and one that made my dad internet (YouTube) famous. Seriously dad, how much did I jump before? If you haven’t seen the infamous “no jumping vlog,” watch it here.
“One Twin Is Always Slower”
- This one was a one-timer, but clearly very memorable. And it’s here because I didn’t – and still don’t know how to process it. So i’ll just leave it here, because every time I try to write something about it, all that comes to mind is “no”. Just “no”.
But of course, those weren’t the only things we heard and I am sure other moms-to-be have unique lists of their own! I would love to hear some, so feel free to comment below with yours.
And no matter I heard, looking back on the Top 5 comments reminds me to laugh things off because when people see that big ol’ belly bouncing along, they really just can’t help saying the first thing that comes to mind!
Oh – and because I know you’re just dying to ask – I gained 39 pounds and loved every single ounce!